Blackberry Cheese Cake


It's been a long time!

So, second year in Arcata! Man, it's been quite a trip. This place is so far from everything it's just doesn't stop amazing me!

But, we've had some sunny days (not quite usual here, so we're grateful!) and it's blackberry season. These things grow everywhere, and they're delicious! So I had to go pick up some and make a cake.
Lesson no. 1 though, don't wear sandals and a dress for this adventure. Why, you ask?


So scratched up and all, I went home excited about making the cheesecake! I had only made it twice last year (remember, I only started baking two years ago, and mostly have been focusing on perfecting my apple cake : http://leenaskitchens.blogspot.com/2015/03/simple-apple-cake-happy-birthday-to.html it is now so so yummy, and my students can testify!)

So first step I had to find a good recipe. My internet was down during the whole holiday weekend (thanks Suddenlink, really great timing!). Phone it is, but it's just so hard to search on the phone! So half way through, I realized I was using the wrong recipe. Never you mind, corrections and bam, worked like a charm!

So here it is:


Ingredients 

2 Graham cracker pie crusts (yes, I know, lazy!)
2 8-ounce cream cheese packages
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 cups sour cream
1 lemon, zested
1 ts vanilla extract

Topping:
3 cups blueberries
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch



 Preparation

The Topping
·         In a saucepan, add the blackberries (3 cups) and sugar (2 tbsp) and a splash of vanilla. Bring to boil over medium heat, and let boil for a 4-5 minutes.
·         To thicken, mix 1 tbsp starch with 2 tbsp cold water until melted. Add to the blackberries and cook one more minute.
The Filling:
·         Preheat oven to 350F (180 C).
·         In a food processor, smooth the cream cheese (1 lb) for about a minute.
·         Add sugar (1 cup) and beat a bit more.      
·         Add the eggs (3), one at a time, continuing to beat slowly
·         Add the sour cream (1 lb), vanilla and lemon zest and beat until well mixed.
o   my mother believes that everything you bake that has eggs needs to have lemon or orange zest to overcome the “gaminess” of eggs. I agree!
·         Pour the filling into the crust and bake for 35-40 minutes.
·         Take out and gently spread the topping!


Let cool and enjoy!



Comments