Qatayef . . . Houston, we have NO problem, for now!


This month, I moved to Houston to take a postdoctoral position at Rice University. A few weeks later, I'm finally settling into my new life. My apartment is finally where I want it, and I love it! 


It's very strange to move to a new city that is so different that what I'm used to! Although thinking about it, what am I used to? I moved 4 times in the past three years! But New York in many ways became home, and despite my love/hate relation with it, I grew to enjoy living there (Rashad, it's on you!). And just as I getting used to the great joy of living in Manhattan and being able to ride my bike everywhere, I move to a place so radically different. Houston is 627 sq miles (1,625 km²), which is huge! (Compare to 33 sq of Manhattan!). I have made the decision to try to get away without a car (I don’t like driving, I don’t like having to drive!). Until now, it’s been very challenging. It is very hard to get anywhere, and not being able to leave Oscar (my bike) out has made it even harder. But I will continue trying. Luckily for me, Houston also comes with many kind and generous people who have been helping out. Esmat and Reza helped with getting the dining table from Ikea, thank you!
And Ussama and Elora have been so nice to invite me to their home and introduce me to their friends. So what better occasion to make a nice dessert, to share with new friends, and make my new apartment feel like home !! In addition, each semester I make a deal with my students, by which I bring a dessert the first class, and then they have the responsibility for each week, so I decided to treat them as well!




Qatayef is a highly loved dessert for Palestinians, but mostly associated with Ramadan, when people indulge in this rich delicious dessert after breaking the fast. I don’t think one should limit the pleasure to a month a year! You can have two kinds of filling with it: qarisheh (homemade cheese, similar to Ricotta) or nuts. I will give you the recipe for both.  

Ingredients
Dough
1 cup flour
1 cup water
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
½-teaspoon salt
½-teaspoon baking powder
Lemon

For the homemade cheese:
1-liter milk
1-cup yogurt
For the nuts filling:
1-cup pecans (or walnuts)
2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoon ground sugar

For the Sugar Syrup:
1 cup sugar
½ cup water
Lemon
Vanilla extract (or rose water or even better, if you have access to a leafs of Rose Geranium, which is what my mother used: http://www.ageless.co.za/herb-rose-geranium.htm)

Preparation
Syrup:
You should prepare the sugar syrup first, as it should be cold when using. Simple!
1.      add half a cup of boiling water to one cup sugar, let them boil for a bit.  
2.      Squeeze some lemon juice to it (the lemon prevents the sugar from re-granulating). Still in while boiling a bit more.
3.      Add the flavor you have, Vanilla or the other option.
4.      Put aside to cool.

 (I use raw sugar which gives it this color, but if you use white sugar it should be much lighter!) 

Qatayef dough
What you want is small pancakes that are baked on one side.
1.      In a bowl, mix the ingredients well. If you are using dry yeast, make sure the water is warm enough for it to reactivate (follow instructions on the package).
2.      Put aside to let rise, stir occasionally.
3.      Heat a non-stick pan.
4.      When pan is hot, pour in small amount.
¾    It has been quite a challenge for me to get them to make them round, but if you can make pancakes that should be easy for you.
5.      Let then bottom cook until light brown while the top dries up and no longer looks liquid. Only cook on one side.
6.      Let them cool spread apart from each other (don’t stack!)


Cheese Filling:
The volume of course depends on how much you are making! One liter milk will give you a small bowl of cheese.
1.      Bring one liter of milk to boil (use whole milk).
2.      Add one cup of yogurt, stir thoroughly, and let boil briefly. You will see the milk separating to clusters.
3.      Strain with a fine-mesh strainer.
4.      Optional: add either ground sugar, cinnamon or both. You will have plenty of sugar from syrup but if you like it sweeter. And I love cinnamon so I often add!


Nut filling:
Chop pecans or walnuts to small pieces. Add ground sugar and cinnamon to taste.

Filling the pancakes

1.      Add a spoon of your chosen filling to the center of the uncooked side of the pancake.
2.      Fold the pancake to a moon shaped pocket
3.      Press the edges to close it.

4.      Repeat! ;)


Final step: baking or frying

The traditional way is frying the Qatayef in deep oil. But if you are concerned with health, the healthier choice would be baking in the over.
For frying:
1.      Heat deep vegetable oil until  very hot
2.      Fry Qatayef until nice and brown



For baking
1.      Preheat oven to 350.
2.      Butter a baking pan
3.      Put small pieces of butter on each piece Qatayef for brush butter on them
4.      Bake until brown.


Once the qatayef are ready, put them in the cold sugar syrup and take them out after a few minutes. 


Now you can dig in!

I realize this is a lot of work, so what I do is I make 2-3 cups of flour each time, and freeze part of the Qatayef pre-baking. When you want it the next time, take out of the freezer and defrost before baking/frying!

Enjoy! 




Comments