Beef Bourguignon, Paris and the love of food



I just came back from a trip in Europe. This post is about travel and food, and the inspiration that comes from it.
I had a conference in Warwick University (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/history/people/staff_index/daniel_branch/empireloyalists/conference/) which was brilliant. I met really interesting people and re-remembered the joy of being a historian (yes, I know, I’m a nerd). Before Coventry, where Warwick is located, I spend a couple of days in London. The mandatory day in Kew Gardens for the archives (best archives ever! Yes, nerd). Then a day around London. Fish and chips is just not exciting food. But wondering around, with a crazy friend who walks into people’s offices and asks what locals eat (who needs yelp?), we discovered a wonderful Bangladeshi restaurant with the suspicion-arousing name, Thames Indian (http://thamesindian.com/), near Waterloo bridge. I had Goan Fish Curry that was amazing!


Then Paris. I can’t believe it took me so long to get there. I know I’m going back soon. What an amazing city! Three days of wondering around, two by bike, a couple of museums and lots of good food and wine! Of course, Moroccan was top choice and I tried two. One, Riad Nejma (http://www.riadnejma.com/), near the Pompidou, had my favorite Moroccan dish, Chicken Bastilla (speaking of inspiration, this is on my list to try!) But the last night, I went to an amazing French restaurant, and had beef Bourguignon, which was so amazing, that it inspired the cooking spree yesterday!
(The Gates of Hell - Rodin Museum

But before getting there, I want to talk about my next leg on the trip (yes, I was a regular Ibn Battuta!)
I left Paris by train to Frankfurt, to visit my lovely sister Janan, who lives in Wurzburg. It was so great to see her, and she spoiled me so much. Eating out in Germany was not that exciting (other than Fontana, http://www.eiscafe-fontana.com/, Janan and Bahaa’s favorite restaurant, where I had a great steak!). BUT, who needs to eat out when Janan cooks! She is so talented, and she made great food for me, including Sfieha (http://leenaskitchens.blogspot.com/2014/01/sfieha-meat-pies.html,) which kicked my sfieha’s ass. I loved being there, and I already miss her so dearly!


So, now for the Beef Bourguignon! 

My awesome friend Asma was here for a visit, and a feast was in order. Paris inspired, I embarked on the hard task of reproducing that yummy dish!
Those who’ve followed this blog know that I don’t follow exact recipes, so this is really a reconstruction of what I did. What I usually do is see a few recipes and take what I like from them. The core was Julia Child’s recipe: http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/julia-childs-beef-bourguignon/f7e0a6c5-710d-4c83-89a6-2a4936fec81a/.
There was one major change: NO pork products were there. The preparation was also modified.
Ingredients
Olive oil
3 pounds lean stew beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
1  onion, sliced
3 Carrots, peeled and sliced
Salt  and pepper
2  tablespoons flour
3 cups red wine, Cote Du Rhone
3 cups beef stock
2 tablespoon tomato paste
Thyme
3 bay leaf2
30 frozen pearl onions
5 tablespoons butter
1 pound fresh mushrooms, peeled and sliced
Dried Porcini Mushrooms (soaked in boiling water, just enough to cover them)
Parsley, few stocks.

Boiled potatoes

Process
I might have mentioned that I love LOVE pressure cookers, so this recipe modified the process by integrating pressure cooker to cut time.
1.      Heat olive oil thoroughly. Dry the beef cubes and brown then in the pressure cooker. (I will admit that to make up for the lack of pork fat I tried to combine butter with olive oil, but better leave butter for other steps, it burns quickly). Browning should be done in batches, to give space for the cubes to fully brown from all sides.
2.      Take beef out and use the same oil, add some butter, and sauté the sliced onions, then add carrots and brown them.
3.      Return the beef into the put, add salt and pepper and the flour and toss around. Then let cook for a little while on each side.
·         Quite frankly, although I followed this step, I don’t understand it. I know that you coat beef (or chicken) with flour before browning to seal in the taste etc. but why after? I guess it’s just to help thicken then sauce but not sure!
4.      Add the wine and 2 to 3 cups of stock, just enough to barely cover the beef. Add the porcini mushrooms with their liquid, tomato paste, thyme and  2 bay leafs. Bring to a simmer on top of the stove.
5.      Cover the pressure cooker, after it boils, cook for 15 minutes
·         if you've never used pressure cooker: you close the lid, and once it starts making loud noise you turn down the heat and time it from that point. Once the time is over, release air.
6.      In the meantime, prepare the mushrooms: heat a few teaspoons of butter in a pan (butter in this recipe is making up for the pork fat, so you can be generous as your heart allows you!) Sauté the mushrooms until soft and take them out.
7.      The frozen pearl onions were tricky. Julia Child’s uses unfrozen ones. I still decided to follow what she did for flavor: add a bit more butter to the pan, and when heated add the pearl onions and brown them (not easy as they are frozen, but if you persist, they get there). Add a cup of the beef stock, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme and 1 bay leaf and let simmer for a while.
8.      Preheat the oven to 325F. Transfer the ingredient of the pressure cooker to a casserole and place low in the oven. Cook for another hour or so (I mostly don’t think you can overcook these things).
9.      After about 45 minutes, add the pearly onions and sautéed mushrooms.
10.  If the sauce is still then, boil down for a bot on the stovetop (Child’s has a complicated process of taking met out, straining etc). I didn't bother and just simmered it down.


è Et, voilà, rich tasty beef Bourguignon


I served over the boiled potatoes, but that had more to do with gluten allergies that crazy creativity! 


Comments