Kafta


You are welcome to check out the update!

Some days, things just seem not to work (and sometimes it's weeks, maybe this is one!). So when things don't work, I like to cook to make the day better. 


“when the going gets tough, the tough gets going”! Shout out to the lovely Birte!



And while my pressure cooker is humming in the background and the lovely aroma of spices filling the house (for another dish, Friekeh, which is a recipe for another day!) I sit to write the last recipe I wanted to post. A few days ago, the lovely Shar joined me to dinner, and Kafta was the main course. 

Ingredients

1 lb lean ground beef (I use as lean as possible) 
1 bunch parsley, chopped small
1 small onion – grated
3 potatoes – one grated, 2 peeled and sliced
Ginger 
Nutmeg
Salt
Olive Oil
Mixed Spices - the mix includes allspice, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom (ratio: 1:1:1 and about a 1/5 each, respectively).
My mixed spices I wish you could smell how amazing this smells! 




1 lemon 


Preparation
Relatively easy dish, much of what I do are my own way and additions! 

Step Zero: Preheat the oven to 350.

Step One: grate the onion, one potato and a small piece of ginger on the meat (ginger isn't big in Arab cuisine, but I love it very much, so I put it in everything! ), and add the parsley, spices, salt and a bit of nutmeg. Add olive oil (few table spoons, I get very lean beef and use olive oil to keep it moist, and healthier)

Mix very thoroughly. The only way to do it is using your hands, trust me, I tried! (If you are like me and don’t like touching raw meat, you can buy gloves!



Step two: heat a bit of OO in a pan. Make small balls of the meat mix and lightly brown them. Slightly cook the sliced potatoes.
You can skip this step, I found it makes cooking faster and keeps meat less dry
Step three: place the potatoes on the bottom of a pan and place the meat mix on top of it, trying to create an even surface on the top.



Step four: Place the pan in the oven.

Step Five : prepare the Tahini sauce. That means, add the lemon juice, salt and water (start with ½ cup and add more as needed). Stir well until it’s smooth.

I think Tahini is a brilliant food and you will notice I use it a lot. You should like it too, it's very healthy! 

Step six: After the meat has been in the oven for about 25 min, check if it’s cooked well. If so, add the Tahini on top and let cook for about 5 minutes.

That’s it, you’re done!



I served this with Brussels Sprouts, my recipe is here : http://leenaskitchens.blogspot.com/2011/10/brussels-sprouts.html



And of course, salad (lettuce, tomato, lemon, oo. My usual!). Shar brought a wonderful broccoli slaw (made with Greek yogurt)!



It was a nice and fun dinner, and leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

Enjoy!


  

Comments

  1. :P بفهم إنو رح ناكل أكل طيب يعني؟
    :) !يالله تعالي مع أو بلا الكفتة، ما بهم

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment