Brussels Sprouts


I have a childish taste in food, so Brussels sprouts were of course not very appealing. In fact, I had decided I did not like them without even tasting them, and was happy with my decision. But last year I had some and YUM, they are so good. As a friend always says, “they taste like candy!” So I started making them, looking through the internet for recipes and doing what I want. Recently, however, I decided to try to make Tanoreen’s amazing Brussels sprouts: with Tahineh (sesame paste) and pomegranate molasses. Put Tahineh in anything and I’ll take it, I’ll also eat it raw! I tried to find a recipe online but nothing came up (I guess it’s their own recipe, and why would they publish it!). But why would no recipe stop me, so I decided to reconstruct it. I didn’t get the exact things but it came out pretty good. Here is the recipe if you want to try it:
Brussels sprouts
Tahineh
Lemon juice
Pomegranate molasses
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Half the Brussels sprouts (if you look online, they should be a right way to do it) and toss with salt, pepper and olive oil. Heat a pan with a thin layer of olive oil and place sprouts facedown. While it cooks, prepare the Tahineh: in a small ball mix few table spoons of Tahineh with lemon, salt and some water. Lemon/water ratio depends on how sour you like your food, but you want the Tahineh to be liquid-y. Add a teaspoon of the pomegranate molasses and stir well to get a smooth consistency.
Flip over the sprouts and let the other side cook a bit (if you like your vegetables well-cooked like I do, cover the pan for a bit). Once the sprouts are almost ready, add the Tahineh and stir in for a few minutes and you are ready to go. Serve hot and enjoy!

Comments