Maqlobeh (upside down)



Maqlobeh (upside down)
Yesterday, out of despair from all the usual dishes, and avoiding writing, I decided to make Maqlobeh, a traditional Palestinian dish of rice and vegetables. Like all things I cook, once I got accustomed to and comfortable cooking it, I adapted it to my taste, so the end product
is not exactly the traditional way, but mine. This dish is a lot of work, and the outcome is plenty of food, so don’t make my mistake. Prepare it for a party!
The ingredients:
A medium onion
6 chicken drumsticks (you can use thighs also)
2 cups rice
A few carrots
A few potatoes
A sweet potato
Half a head of cauliflower
A couple of celery stalks
Some frozen peas and corn
1 pack mushroom.
Few table spoons of olive oil
Salt and spices (My spices are a key ingredient (my secret one, really, my mother's mixed spices), the mix includes allspice, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom (ratio: 1:1:1 and about a 1/5 each, respectively).

As I mentioned in the introduction, I’m not big on measures. The original recipe has eggplant (not in my dietary world), and doesn't include sweet potato, mushroom, corn or peas. So after getting excited about the prospect, I started cooking. 


First: I peeled the mushrooms andsautéed them. Then cut the rest of the ingredients (peeling what needs to be peeled) in small round slices, and cut the onions into feathers.

Second: I browned the chicken with some of my spices and when it started browning, I added the onions and let them cook together. I set that aside and

Third: fried the vegetables slightly (in somewhat deep corn oil. I know, not very healthy but gives a very good taste. I’m sure you could try covering everything in olive oil and baking for a bit instead for a healthier outcome).
Fourth: After laying the veggies on paper towels for a bit to get rid of some of the oil, I started layering them in the pot (pressure cooker actually, the best investment ever! Mine is Fagor and
I LOVE it!). sprinkle a layer of rice on the chicken, add a layer of one of the veggies, then another layer of rice and so on with all the veggies until you have it all. 

Fifth: Add salt and spices and water to cover everything, close the pressure cooker and let boil for 8 minutes or so, less if you like your rice firm. (My friend made it with a regular put, and it took 25 min on medium heat!) 


  • if you've never used pressure cooker: you close the lid, and once it starts making loud noise you turn down the heat and time it from that point.
Mine, unfortunately came a bit overcooked because I lost track of time. (as a general rule, and as the Fagor instructions will tell you, ebb on the side of less if not sure, you can ratify undercooked but not much you could do with overcooked!). It still came out good. 
 I might have had too much rice this week (risotto a few days ago of which I ate for four days, but came out mighty good!).

And there is of course the sense that Maqlobeh should be shared. Next time, party!

While the Maqlobeh was cooking, I made a quick salad. For the past few months, I’ve tried to make a salad every day. It’s very healthy and has helped me keep my weight somewhat under control! 
So easy and simple, takes 3 minutes!

Salad: Cut lettuce (I mostly use romaine hearts but anything goes), tomatoes (prefer vine tomatoes), add some wild arugula. For dressing: lemon is always my first choice. Olive oil, use good one. I buy Palestinian olive oil from Canaan (http://www.canaanfairtrade.com/): great oil, support Palestinian farmers struggling under occupation, and fair trade. Good all around! Salt and my new passion, sumac (adds a nice tang! I give Tanoreen credit for the inspiration, thanks to their most wonderful Fatoush!).

Dinner was at Ethan’s stoop in a small neighborhood gathering. Eating outside with some beer and good friends is always nice!



Hope you enjoyed!
Leena




Comments

  1. This looks great -- thanks for sharing! Next time I think we need to know what "your spices" are :)
    -JT

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment